Senior Manager, Technical Accounting
About The Role:
We are looking for a Senior Manager of Technical Accounting who will function at the heart of our Finance department to ensure accuracy and integrity of the Company’s financial accounting and reporting in accordance with US GAAP.
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, this is a well-rounded role that offers a combination of technical accounting and operational accounting and reporting duties, as well as visibility with our Executive Management team (CFO, Controller, Head of FP&A). It also provides an opportunity to guide other members of the team in technical areas such as revenue accounting, equity, and leases. You will primarily assist in all aspects of technical accounting research related to new and proposed accounting standards. In this role, you will also be responsible for preparation of our financial statements and will help manage the implementation, maintenance and review of our accounting policies and procedures for key business-processes.
To be successful in this role, you will need to be an energized and experienced technical professional who is able to interact effectively at all levels in the organization and have successful working relationships with multiple cross-functional, including but not limited to: Accounting, Legal, FP&A, Sales and Operations. We are also looking for someone who thrives and enjoys working in a fast-paced, complex environment to support our continued growth and success.
What You'll Do:
- Research technical accounting guidance from the FASB, SEC and other regulatory bodies and draft accounting memos, position papers, financial statement disclosures on revenue recognition, stock-based compensation, internal-use software capitalization, contract cost capitalization and new accounting pronouncements.
- Own the technical accounting revenue grid and ensure completeness of review of all arrangements with customers for 606 implications, for all products and services offered by Rippling.
- Understand new product offerings and determine the appropriate accounting.
- Collaborate with legal to understand and review changes to our online Terms of Service Agreement for any revenue recognition or other accounting implications.
- Ownership of the implementation of ASC 842
- Develop relationships with and provide guidance and advice to Rippling’s management team, having the ability to influence business decisions of the company.
- Own the company financial statements and future SEC reporting processes while ensuring financials are prepared accurately, timely and in accordance with GAAP. Provide guidance on non-GAAP disclosures.
- Manage relationships with outside advisors that impact areas of responsibility, including technical accounting advisors and 409a advisors.
- Hands on responsibilities comprise of various month-end close procedures (stock-based compensation, and other technical accounting items), including preparation of monthly journal entries, account reconciliations and analysis of results, as required.
- Coordinate with external auditors, manage the audit process for areas within job scope, and provide audit supporting documentation for interim and annual audits.
- Proactively identify issues and implement process improvements to ensure Rippling’s reporting is compliant with GAAP and readiness for public company reporting requirements.
- Ad hoc research and special projects related to a wide range of technical accounting issues
- Develop and maintain internal controls in responsible areas of financial reporting to ensure adherence to company policy and SOX 404 regulations
- 8+ years accounting experience in the Big 4 and SaaS industry, including public company experience and Form S-1 filings.
- CPA require
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Strong, in-depth knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations, and financial statement preparation
- Ability to think outside the box and provide suggestions and guidance in addition to having strong technical knowledge.
- Strong technical research skills, including experience with US GAAP and other accounting standards research related to revenue recognition (SaaS and FinTech industry)
- Experience with ASC 842 implementation at a public company
- Strong technical skills, analytical and verbal/written communication skills
- Extremely attentive to detail and very well organized
- The ability to manage ambiguity and push through business challenges
- Demonstrated people management skills
- Self-motivated individual with ability to work independently, meet tight deadlines and committed to success
- Adaptable and comfortable working in fast paced environments
- Ability to influence others through clear communication, coordination, project planning and project prioritization
- Ability to identify key issues and offer practical solutions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, HSA, Commuter, Life and Disability Benefits
- Uncapped PTO and flexible work hours
- Free onsite lunch
- Generous parental leave
- Transgender health insurance coverage
- Great compensation package (salary, equity)
- Fun, casual atmosphere and meeting-light culture
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. No job description is perfect, and we might find an even more suitable opportunity that matches your skills and experience.
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email accommodations[at]rippling.com.
We are committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace, and vaccinations are the best way to end the COVID-19 pandemic and to protect our community. In the U.S., where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination prior to their start date, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation. For all other locations, vaccinations are strongly encouraged.