Sr. Engineering Manager - Platform Infrastructure
About the Role
Rippling is a multi-product compound startup - the product teams build products, and the Infrastructure Team takes care of all the things that are common. It could be deployment infrastructure, debugging tools, framework, language runtimes, CI/CD pipelines, pub-sub and database tooling, anything that’s common and generic. The Infra Team is the backbone in enabling Rippling engineering to scale fast, stay reliable, and keep engineers productive.
The main codebase is written in Python with Django framework and MongoDB as a backend database. About 500 engineers work on this to add product features. We have other languages and a few microservices being built. As the product matures, we are reviving architecture to move towards a services based setup. You will be leading a team of engineers working on this platform.
About the Team
The infra Team exists with the mission to free the engineers to concentrate on product building and not worry about the fundamental pieces of the platform, like middlewares, language runtimes, core libraries, ORM, debugging tools, etc. This team takes care of introducing new tooling, bringing architecture changes, and improving the developer productivity. The work is deeply technical - team members are passionate about technology trends and developer productivity. Few articles to get an idea
We have about eight areas and organically form individual teams to handle each. You will join, gain context, own an area, and grow your own team.
What You'll Do
- Hire smart engineers
- Convert the vision into executable roadmap, prepare quarterly plans, and own the delivery
- Ensure team members are fully aware of the team’s goals and how they can participate in achieving them
- Constantly listen to customers i.e. Rippling engineers to understand the needs and build solutions
- Collaborate with product teams to achieve infrastructure team goals
- Unblock the platform infrastructure engineers from technical and collaboration perspectives
- Aid the team with code reviews and design discussions
- Ensure the team to perform at their best
What You Have
- You have interest and expertise in solving deep technical problems at scale
- You are deeply committed to customer success and think about ways to improve their productivity and experience
- You can make data-oriented decisions and explain the rationale behind them to your team, as well as the engineering org
- You are creative to find solutions that are apt for Rippling engineering. You encourage and reward the team members to innovate
- An ability to collaborate with product teams and create impact through influence
- You are passionate and following the latest technology trends
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years of managing engineering teams
- Experience driving impact through cross-functional leadership
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with distributed teams across multiple time zones
- Experience with platform teams is a plus
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. No job description is perfect, and we might find an even more suitable opportunity that matches your skills and experience.
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email accommodations[at]rippling.com.
We are committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace, and vaccinations are the best way to end the COVID-19 pandemic and to protect our community. In the U.S., where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination prior to their start date, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation. For all other locations, vaccinations are strongly encouraged.