Senior Software Engineer - RQL
About The Role:
At Rippling, we want users to configure and customize our features/products without complexity. Therefore, we’ve created a new language called Rippling Query Language (RQL) which allows our customers to write queries and scripts to create Formula Fields inside of our analytics suite and extend functionality elsewhere across Rippling. Any advanced Excel user will be familiar with RQL's syntax as it borrows many core concepts from Excel. We've also incorporated some powerful capabilities from SQL, such as "select" statements and some elements from Python.
RQL internally has its own grammar, parser, query translator, distributed query processing engines (Apache Presto), and a distributed datastore (Apache Pinot). You will be working on challenging technical challenges like distributed systems and big data technologies.
This is one of the highest leveraged positions within Rippling. The current plan is to use RQL in many more products and be a core component of many new projects ahead.
What You'll Do:
- Work on distributed processing engines and distributed databases.
- Develop high quality software with attention to detail using tech stacks like Python, React, MongoDB, and Kafka
- Leverage big data technologies like Apache Presto, Apache Pinot, Apache Ray, Flink, and Airflow.
- Build custom programming languages within the Rippling Platform.
- Create data platforms, data lakes, and data ingestion systems that work at scale.
- Design, develop, code, and test software systems, improvements, products and user-facing experiences
- Work alongside software architects and senior developers doing state-of-the-art development work
- Contribute to product design and implementation discussions
- Find and build unique solutions to implement projects from the idea phase to production
- 5+ years of professional work experience.
- Experience working in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Experience in building projects with good abstractions and architecture.
- Comfortable at developing scalable and extendable core services used in many products.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. No job description is perfect, and we might find an even more suitable opportunity that matches your skills and experience.
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email accommodations[at]rippling.com.
We are committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace, and vaccinations are the best way to end the COVID-19 pandemic and to protect our community. In the U.S., where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination prior to their start date, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation. For all other locations, vaccinations are strongly encouraged.