London Dublin Berlin Warsaw
About the Role
We are looking for a sharp, highly-motivated, forward-thinking EU Counsel. You will be our very first legal hire in the EU region, providing legal support to a variety of business activities in the region. This is an exciting opportunity to build our legal and compliance program from the ground up in the EU region, by interfacing with our business teams, executive staff, regulators and industry groups, outside counsel and vendors to develop and execute on a wide range of corporate, product, compliance and regulatory initiatives requiring creative and proactive legal guidance and process management.
You will have an opportunity to make a big impact in a fast-paced organization creating a first-in-kind platform that spans numerous regulated industries. You will also help drive the compliance culture at Rippling and embed integrity and compliance in all of our operations as our company grows. The ideal candidate takes ownership over initiatives, has excellent analytical and communication skills, and fundamentally believes that integrity (and lawyering) need not be boring.
- Act as a general legal advisor to business activities and internal operations in the EU region, including with respect to data protection and labor and employment laws
- Serve as the EU legal point of contact for our product, commercial, and management teams, helping to embed legal and compliance values in all new product and business initiatives and handling pre-litigation disputes
- Serve as the EU legal point of contact for our internal operations and human resources team
- Negotiate, review and draft commercial agreements
- Design and implement pragmatic, efficient, and scalable legal and compliance processes
- Assist in the development of internal legal and compliance processes
- Advise the business on and monitor new legislation and regulations related to the EME region, including the upcoming Digital Services Act and Digital Markets Act
- 5+ years of legal experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Knowledge of legal issues affecting software companies globally is required, such as data privacy issues, cloud and SaaS, and IP protection. Knowledge of labor and employment law is a plus
- Experience working with and advising teams across different global regions and liaising with outside counsel for in-region deal support
- Passion for navigating complex regulatory frameworks and finding solutions
- Entrepreneurial mindset (flexible, self-starting and hard-working)
- Excellent communicator with the ability to break down complex requirements into easy-to-understand and practical advice
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sense of humor!
- JD, LLB, LLM, or equivalent degree or otherwise authorized to practice law; CIPP/EU preferred
- Must be fluent in English, fluency in other languages is a plus.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. No job description is perfect, and we might find an even more suitable opportunity that matches your skills and experience.
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email accommodations[at]rippling.com.
We are committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace, and vaccinations are the best way to end the COVID-19 pandemic and to protect our community. In the U.S., where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination prior to their start date, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation. For all other locations, vaccinations are strongly encouraged.