Staff Software Engineer (Architect) - Application infrastructure
Software Engineer (Architect) - Application infrastructure
About the Role
Rippling is a multi-product compound startup. The product teams build products. The Infra team takes care of all the things that are common. It could be the deployment infrastructure, debugging tools, framework, language runtimes, CI/CD pipelines, pub-sub and database tooling, anything that’s common and generic.
The main codebase is written in python with Django framework and MongoDB as a backend database. About 500 engineers work on this to add product features. We have other languages and a few microservices being built.
We are looking for an experienced technologist who can envision, architect and build our application framework that powers the needs of the products being built. You will solve problems and make decisions related to language runtimes, core library, middlewares, shared components, pub-sub library etc. The architecture and frameworks you build will be used by Rippling engineers.
About the team
The infra team exists with the mission to free the engineers to concentrate on product building and not worry about the fundamental pieces of the platform like - middlewares, language runtimes, core libraries, ORM, debugging tools, etc. The team takes care of introducing new tooling, bringing architecture changes and improving the developer productivity. The work is deeply technical, the team members are passionate about technology trends and developer productivity. Few articles to get an idea
You will technically lead the application frameworks team of the infrastructure department.
What will you do
- Envision long-term company-wide technical roadmap that will introduce new features and improve the stability
- Lead as mentor and role model for infrastructure and other product engineers
- Lead the monolithic architecture to services-based architecture roadmap
- Design and execute high-impact cross-team framework level projects
- Be part of design discussions and ensure the architecture evolves to suit the needs of the platform
- Keep yourself updated with industry best practices and implement
- Refactor existing systems with performant, robust and highly scalable components
- 10+ years of software engineer experience
- 2+ years of working on architecture at a fast paced setup
- Experience in platform teams would be an advantage
- Experience driving impact through cross-functional leadership
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with distributed teams across multiple time zones
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. No job description is perfect, and we might find an even more suitable opportunity that matches your skills and experience.
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email accommodations[at]rippling.com.
We are committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace, and vaccinations are the best way to end the COVID-19 pandemic and to protect our community. In the U.S., where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination prior to their start date, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation. For all other locations, vaccinations are strongly encouraged.