Lead Counsel - Privacy & Product
San Francisco or New York City
About the Role
Rippling is hiring an experienced and proactive Lead Counsel - Privacy & Product to join our team. You will partner closely with our legal, compliance, product, and business teams to build a modern privacy program that is capable of withstanding evolving frameworks. You have a passion for building scalable solutions and will counsel teams across the company on new and existing products. You are a self-starter who takes pride in working cross-functionally to help colleagues navigate complex privacy issues. The ideal candidate takes ownership over initiatives, has a strong work ethic, demonstrates excellent analytical and communication skills, and has a hunger for creative, outside-the-box solutions.
- Provide privacy specialist legal advice across aspects of global privacy laws and regulations
- Develop and maintain a privacy framework that ensures compliance with domestic and international privacy laws and best practices
- Serve as a proactive partner and privacy subject matter expert to our product, commercial, regulatory, and management teams, helping to embed privacy and data protection into all new products and business initiatives
- Design and implement pragmatic and scalable privacy processes to best serve Rippling and its customers
- Collaborate with engineering teams to implement and improve internal privacy, data protection and data minimization tooling
- Keep abreast of evolving privacy laws that may affect the company globally
- Maintain up-to-date internal and external privacy policies
- 5+ years of legal experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department, with a focus on privacy and data protection issues
- Experience advising on global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, including GDPR and/or CCPA
- Entrepreneurial mindset (flexible, self-starting and hard-working) in generating new and innovative legal and compliance solutions
- Demonstrated solution-oriented business and compliance judgment
- Excellent communicator, with ability to break down complex requirements into easy-to-understand and practical advice
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sense of humor
- J.D. required, admitted to any state bar; CIPP preferred
If you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. No job description is perfect, and we might find an even more suitable opportunity that matches your skills and experience.
Rippling is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Rippling is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email accommodations[at]rippling.com.
We are committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace, and vaccinations are the best way to end the COVID-19 pandemic and to protect our community. In the U.S., where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination prior to their start date, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation. For all other locations, vaccinations are strongly encouraged.